Monday, September 28, 2009

Homebrew: Pumpkin Ale


Despite the rain, I had a great day yesterday in my brewery putting together a pumpkin ale for the fall months ahead. This was a really fun brew; I got to use some unique ingredients, which was a welcomed departure from Reinheitsgebot-style brewing.

The interesting thing about pumpkin ales is that you really don't get much (if any) flavor from the pumpkin itself. In fact, you don't even need to use pumpkin to make a pumpkin ale--the flavors people identify as "pumpkin" are really pumpkin pie spices. So all you have to do is use a pumpkin pie spice blend in the boil and call it a pumpkin ale. But that wouldn't be any fun...I decided to use 6 lbs of pumpkin.

Before I even started brewing, I baked the pumpkin in the oven at 300 F for an hour to caramelize some of the sugars and produce some melanoidins. I then included the pumpkin in the mash with the grains, adding a pound of rice hulls to account for the husk-less pumpkin, thus preventing a stuck sparge. After mashing, I boiled as normal, using Magnum as a bittering hop and some Willamette as well as Saaz at 15 minutes for a little flavor. Also at 15 minutes, I added a cup each of cane (table) sugar and molasses. The sugar will help dry out the beer a little and lighten the body, balancing out the unfermentable sugars/starches in the pumpkin. The molasses will also help dry out the beer, while adding a unique flavor component to the overall character. Finally, at flame-out, I added a homemade spice blend containing 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp ginger, and 1/8 tsp each of nutmeg and allspice. I'm fermenting the beer with a neutral ale yeast--I don't want any yeast characteristics overwhelming the pumpkin spices. Fermentation was extremely vigorous this morning (you can see the thick krausen forming on top in the picture above). The beer should be ready for drinking in 3-4 weeks, and I'm looking forward to serving it to the neighborhood kids on Halloween! Who the hell wants candy corn when you get have a pint of homebrewed pumpkin ale?!?!

1 comment:

  1. It would certainly be worth getting dressed up to get that instead of a tootsie roll! Of course you would then have a bunch of people hanging out in front of your house all night.

    ReplyDelete