Friday, October 30, 2009

Homebrewed Pumpkin Ale Review


I tapped a keg of my homebrewed Pumpkin Ale this week, just in time for Halloween, and in turned pretty good for my first pumpkin/spiced beer. Before I get to the review, I just wanted to share with everyone that I'm going to be moving to DC in a month to start a new job. Homebrewing is going to have to take a hiatus for a bit as I'm living with a friend down there at first. Then, once I find my own place, I'll start the brewery up again! For my final pre-hiatus brew, I'm going to be brewing a Vanilla Bourbon Porter to keep me warm during the winter in DC. I got the yeast starter going last night, and I'll be brewing tomorrow on Halloween day. It's going to be a small, 3 gallon batch of a 1.086 original gravity robust porter (about 7.5% ABV). After primary fermenation, I'm going to split a full vanilla bean and let the beer age with it in the secondary for 2 weeks. Finally, at packaging, I'm going to fortify the beer with some Jim Beam Bourbon. The beer is definitely going to pack a punch, and will be a great "sipper" on a cold evening!

On to the Pumpkin Ale review:


Aroma: A sweet malt background of caramel and toffee, laced with spices reminiscent of a holiday spice cake. No hop aroma.

Appearance: Amber with an orange tint. Hazy, probably from unconverted starches in the pumpkin. Small, slightly off-white head that lingers while drinking.

Flavor: Cinnamon and nutmeg are most noticeable, with an initial malty sweetness. Some biscuit and bread-like flavors are apparent. The beer finishes a little bitter. It definitely tastes like pumpkin pie though. No hop flavor, though the hop bitterness is discernible (the lingering bitterness may also be caused by overdoing the spices a bit).

Mouthfeel: Medium-full bodied with medium carbonation. A little astringent, though not overbearing.

Overall Impression: I think the beer came out great for my first spice ale. I initially added the spices at the last minute of the boil, and after fermentation, I found that the beer was a little bland. I added another full dose of spices in the secondary, and let the beer sit for a week before kegging. It's definitely not bland anymore, but I think I overdid it with the second dose of spices; I should've showed a bit more restraint. If, and when, I brew this again next year, I'm going to do away with the boil spices altogether and also up the character malts a bit to bring the beer into a better balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment