Friday, March 19, 2010

Fermentation Frenzy--A Homebrew Triathlon


Mike DiMarco should be proud--I'm running a triathlon...a beer triathlon that is. I'm brewing 3 beers in 3 weeks, and I'm already a third of the way there. This past weekend, I brewed a 5 gallon batch of a Munich Helles, a light lager that the BJCP describeds as having a "malty but fully attenuated Pils malt showcase" and "is not overly sweet, but rather focuses on malt flavor with underlying hop bitterness in a supporting role." The beer was made using mostly Pilsner malt, with a little Light Munich as well as Melanoidin. The hop bill was pretty simple--just some German Hallertauer at 60 minutes. For my first time brewing in my new place, the brewday went extremely well. My new stove was luckily able to bring 7.5 gallons of wort to a boil, though I had a small issue with a boil over, which took 45 minutes of scrubbing the stove with a brillo pad to clean it up. The one major issue I had was fermentation; this was only my second time doing a lager, and I didn't handle the yeast as well as I should've. Although I made a properly-sized starter using WLP838 Southern German Lager yeast, I kept the starter at fermentation temperature (about 52 F) instead of keeping it at room temp to grow the yeast. Once I pitched the yeast slurry, there was about a 72-hour lag time before fermentation really got going. In the end though, the yeast prevailed, and you can see the krausen forming on top of the beer in the picture above. I'll let the beer ferment out at 52 F before transferring it to the secondary and lagering at 34 F for at least a month.

While my Munich Helles is fermenting away, I'm going to brew a 5 gallon batch of a Rye IPA this Sunday, which should come out to be a hoppy and subtly spicy ale with a firm malt backbone. The malt bill calls for mostly American 2-row with a number of specialty malts, including Rye, Caramel 60, CaraPils, and a little Wheat. The hop additions are all either Mt. Hood or Columbus, and I prepared a starter last night using WLP051 California Ale V yeast.

Finally, next weekend I'll be brewing a 3 gallon batch of an Imperial Brown Ale using Maris Otter as a base malt with Brown Malt, Caramel 80, Caramel 120, and some Dark Belgian Candi Syrup. The hops include Columbus and Willamette, and I'll be using WLP001 California Ale yeast.

Tasting notes to come once all three beers are on tap...onward with the triathlon!

2 comments:

  1. A real triathlon takes place in one day. In three weeks, I could do 20 triathlons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a triathalon like the Nathan's hot dog eating contest is like a marathon. In the sense that it is totally opposite.

    ReplyDelete