Friday, April 10, 2009

Last BJCP Class & Lots of Great Beer


Yesterday evening was my last BJCP (Beer Judge Certification Program) class before the exam next weekend. It's been nearly 5 months since I started studying for the test. The study group I was involved with met 10 times over the last few months to discuss different topics and of course taste all the different styles of beers. While my beer knowledge has certainly increased dramatically, I'm definitely going to be cramming a bunch before the test. This weekend is going to be spent reading, making flash cards, and preparing for the grueling 3-hour exam. Despite what some may think, the BJCP exam is extremely difficult--I've studied harder for this than anything before.

Here's a list from last night's lineup (at least what I can remember) with links to the beer's page on BeerAdvocate.com:
Hoegaarden
St. Bernardus Witbier
Corsendonk Abbey Pale Ale
La Chouffe
Leute Bok
Rodenbach Grand Cru
Duchesse De Bourgogne
Liefmans Goudenband
Hanssens Oude Gueuze
Lindemans Framboise
Lindemans Kriek (we actually had 2 of these: 1 bought recently and 1 that was roughly 15 years old, which was pretty sweet)
Koningshoeven La Trappe Quadrupel
Stone Double Bastard Ale (a little random, I know)

My favorites were the Rodenbach Grand Cru (which I kind of knew going into this--I love the sours!) and the Corsdendonk Abbey Pale Ale. The main reason I enjoyed the pale ale so much is that I brewed a Belgian pale ale recently, and mine tastes very similar to this one. If it's good enough for Corsendonk, it's good enough for me!

Updates may be scarce the next week as I prepare for the BJCP exam and deal with a truckload of crap at work, but I'll be back in full swing after next Saturday. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. Dude, this is the most you've ever studied for anything. Seriously. Flash cards? Really?

    - Joe (the REAL Joe)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I've studied harder for this than anything before."

    Not surprising. Not even a little.

    ReplyDelete