Friday, April 3, 2009

Witkap-Pater Abbey Singel & Colonel Blide's Cask Ale


Last night with dinner I had the Witkap-Pater Abbey Singel from Brouwerij Slaghmuylder, a small Belgian brewery. I didn't do full tasting notes, but the beer was decent--nothing particularly interesting about it. The carbonation was a little too high and left a sharp carbonic bite in my mouth. Other than that, this was your standard Abbey-style ale; nothing about it jumped out and made me want more. This one is definitely not a repeat.



Next up, with lunch today, I popped open one of the bottles in the variety pack from Cricket Hill that I got on Wednesday at their brewery. I pulled out their Colonel Blide's Cask Ale. If I didn't know the story behind this beer, I would've laughed at the fact that they were calling it a cask ale. For starters, it's bottled and it's not even bottle-conditioned at that. Basically, the beer began as a true cask ale a few years ago when they first made it, but it became so popular that they started bottling it and force-carbonating it for consistency. It also was originally a blend of their Hopnotic IPA and American Ale, but now they brew it as its own beer with its own recipe. It's very similar to their IPA, but with a fuller and more complex hop profile, mainly because the beer is dry-hopped after primary fermentation. All in all, a good, sessionable English IPA. As with the first beer on this post, it's nothing extraordinary, but it's well-made and tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment