Sunday, March 22, 2009

Fuller's London Porter


While brewing my first lager today (an oktoberfest/marzen), I had a couple pints of my homebrewed Belgian Pale Ale, but I finished the day strong with one of my favorite beers, Fuller's London Porter, a classic brown porter. Here are some distinct tasting notes that I took on the London Porter during one of my BJCP (Beer Judge Certification Program) study group (I'm taking the test in April):

Aroma: Sweet chocolate initially with some mild roastiness following it. Little to no hop aroma. The beer's aromatics are incredibly welcoming.
Appearance: Dark brown with the slightest ruby highlights on the edges. Relatively clear with a small, off-white head. The head retention isn't great (despite the picture I found), but there is some nice lacing on the glass.
Flavor: Roasty with notes of dark chocolate. A very slight fruitiness probably from yeast esters. Hop bitterness is mild, and there's no hop flavor detectable.
Mouthfeel: A creamy, medium-full body with mild carbonation.
Overall Impression: A wonderfully drinkable session-beer. The roastiness is not overwhelming and is balanced nicely with chocolate flavors some malt sweetness.

No comments:

Post a Comment