Sunday, March 22, 2009

What a Beerkend!

A "beerkend" is a "beer weekend," and this one was awesome. To begin with, I judged my first homebrew competition on Saturday--specifically, I judged the English Brown Ale category (Mild, Southern English Brown, and Northern English Brown) as well as the Specialty Beer category (two of my favorites were a bourbon, wood-aged beer and a carrot cake ale). I also got some great beers at the brewpub the competition was held at, the Gilded Otter Brewing Company. In particular, I really enjoyed their porter and their altbier.


After a day of judging beer, I hit up the 3rd Manhattan Cask Ale Festival at the Chelsea Brewing Company in NYC. I had some great beers there including 8 oz samples of the Cape Ann Fisherman's Navigator, the Chelsea Black Hole XXX Stout, the Nodding Head 60 Shilling Ale, and the Harvest Moon Abbey Brown Ale (my personal favorite).

And now, it's time to brew! I'm brewing a Marzen today and probably drinking my homebrewed Belgian Pale Ale while I "work." Relax, Don't Worry, Have a Homebrew!

1 comment:

  1. I am drinking a Marzen now! (The Gordon Biersch one.) I don't know what that means about the beer, but it's tasty.

    ReplyDelete